Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Seeds are Started!




I hadn't started seeds for many years; with part-time jobs, kids, dogs, rats (yes, rats) and other pets, there just wasn't time to devote to gardening, so there isn't a spare shelf in the house. I had to wait to get my husband's cooperation, and we "rigged" a hanging light from the basement ceiling over a spare table. I really felt our basement was too cool this time of year, in spite of the lights, so my husband put up "walls" of insulation surrounding my three seed trays.



In searching for some seeds I had saved from a few plants from last year, my husband located an old coffee can with some really, really OLD seeds --- like from 2000 and 2003! LOL... just for fun, I planted a few of those and it looks like they are coming up too! There aren't too many bald spots in my seed trays.



I have planted more than enough for myself; my daughter is in process of buying a house, and I have planted "spares" for her to start an herb garden and a few veggies. I think she'll be busy with the interior of the house (and her toddler!), but I think she'll want to get her hands dirty now and then in her own backyard, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment