Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Happy May! I like MAY... I got married in the month of MAY --- 28 years this year, and I always make my husband *pay* by taking me to a classy restaurant. In this case, that means to an establishment that requires the use of silverware (lol). The other thing I like about MAY is, it's my much-older brother's birthday, and I get to rag him about his age. But of course, MAY is really about the nice weather and getting OUTDOORS.

I am not one to jump on bandwagons and run out and purchase new plants when they come along, but when I read about the new "Green Envy" Coneflower (Echinacea) in Backyard Living Magazine, I have to admit I was green with envy. I wanted it! I balked at the price, though... and shipping... and what if it died? Oh bother... Then a few days ago, I was browsing around my local garden store and OMG --- there it was! Should I? Yes, I should... after all, I'm worth one splurge a year, aren't I? (yeah, right, only once a year!) And, doesn't THIS pot look like there are two plants in it?? OY, whoever heard of paying $16.95 for a coneflower?? Ugh... but I did...
I have planted the little baby(s) in my raised bed herb garden where it can be babied and faithfully watered until it matures (and hopefully reproduces!):


In case you haven't read about "Green Envy", it's blossoms start green, but as the summer progresses, they gradually turn magenta pink from the center outwards. Truly a unique plant!


THE HERBS

While there in the herb garden, I may as well share how things have fared over the winter. I transplanted my chives from a large planter on my deck (they come back every year in the planter, which will now be filled with flowers), and don't seem to have suffered much shock:





Then I purchased a rosemary plant:


The rest of these have over-wintered OK:

Sage (looks like it took a hit!):


Thyme:

I have more herbs/seeds started and waiting for planting.


Back in front of the house, the flowering crab is in bloom, although the sun is not cooperating today, I took a few closeups of the blossoms (wish I could capture that smell!):



And I do like coming up with colorful combinations for my containers, and this one is in front of my front porch:


No comments:

Post a Comment